Before we answer why you should be using WordPress and what the benefits are, let’s go over a quick overview.
Overview of WordPress
WordPress powers over a third of all websites globally. WordPress is a free open-source technology and is 100% free to download, use, and modify for any purpose. WordPress is also does not focus on a specific type of website but instead offers the following features:
- It is easy to use.
- It is highly flexible and scalable website creation application that will let you fully modify and customize it to fit your own needs.
- It includes a powerful Content Management System (CMS) that is built into the website itself.
- It will let you create a multitude of websites including:
- Personal blogs
- Membership sites
- Forums and Social Media sites
- Business or Professional website
- e-Commerce storefronts
- Product review and affiliate websites
- It is highly secure, regularly updated and supported by one of the largest communities of users and developers.
Understanding the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
For Self-Hosted Websites – WordPress.org
On the WordPress.org website, you are able to access the latest downloads of the WordPress software as well as access the massive community through links on this site. This is focused on the self-hosting option where you find your own host to run your website. Need to find a host? Reach out to us on our website at: Goodburst.com
- Provides businesses and individuals with the free download of WordPress that offers everything the product has.
- You can download the software for any purpose you want.
- Let’s you use your own domain name to host your website.
- Requires you to purchase your own domain and pay for your own web hosting service but you have full control over everything.
- The site and software are open source and managed by the non-profit WordPress Foundation.
Hosted Service – WordPress.com
WordPress.com is the hosted service to run your own WordPress site. This has the following things to keep in mind:
- It is free but restricted to be a blog hosting service.
- Your blog is a subdomain of WordPress and appears as follows: ‘website.wordpress.com’
- Displays Ads
- Offers limited storage space.
- You can pay to upgrade and unlock features.
- Website is owned by ‘Automattic.com’ and is a for-profit business.
Benefits of Using WordPress for your website
Globally a large number of businesses choose WordPress
- WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) worldwide. It is a proven platform trusted and used by large companies, small businesses, and millions of sites.
- WordPress powers over 1/3rd of all websites and it is regularly updated and improved upon.
- Each new release of WordPress attracted tens of millions of downloads.
- WordPress has been translated into over 70 languages. You can create a site that is localized for a specific international audience and in whatever language you select.
WordPress is very easy to use
- WordPress requires no coding experience or expert knowledge of web design/development.
- WordPress was designed for publishing content online. It combines a powerful website-building application with a content publishing platform and content management built for non-technical users.
- WordPress uses shortcodes that are simple commands to insert objects into your site without having to touch code.
WordPress is Cost-Effectivei
- The WordPress software is 100% free to download and use. You can use it on any and as many websites as you choose. There are no licensing fees for commercial use and no advertising to display.
- WordPress provides access to thousands of free plugins and themes. This can help you create a unique design for your personal brand.
- Premium Themes are available at relatively low costs. These can t hen be customized by yourself, if you have the experience in it, or you can consult a company to help out on this task.
WordPress helps automate your Web Presence
WordPress has many features, and plugins that can help you advertise and maintain your website. These include:
- Getting your content indexed on Google and other search engines.
- Sharing your content on different social media networks like Facebook and Twitter.
- Attract visitors to your website.
- Capture leads to present analytics on who is visiting your site.
- Updating your WordPress site and all plugins.
- Backing up files and Data.
WordPress provides a complete online publishing system
- WordPress can handle your entire publishing workflow. Features that are built-in allow you to collaborate with other users on the site who are also able to review and edit your content. This can all be done without the need of using additional tools on the site.
- WordPress has a drag-and-drop media file uploader that lets you integrate rich media, images, videos, music, audio, and documents into your content and a full featured media browser to store, organize and find these files.
- WordPress provides a ‘distraction-free’ writing system that allows you to focus on your ideas and concentrate on creating content while eliminating things like texts, tweets, and status updates on your writing device.
- WordPress automatically saves your work as you type, so you will not have to worry about losing and content if something crashes or you made a mistake. It also will create “versions” of all pages you work on so you can easily revert back to previous versions with a single click.
- With WordPress you can schedule your content to be published on any date and time that you specify so you can fully control your publishing timeline and schedule.
- WordPress lets you publish your content anywhere and everywhere with mobile applications that works on Android and iOS mobile devices, as well as being able to submit content via e-mail.
- WordPress lets you split long content into multi-paged posts for easier reading.
- WordPress also alllows you to save your content as a draft which allows you to have unfinnished articles or posts to be saved and available until you are ready to finish your work.
- WordPress will let you preview your posts as if it was published live. This gives you the ability to preview the content before your readers see it.
- WordPress content publishing platform is designed to make your site conform to your content and not the other way around. This is achieved by using a powerful feature called a WordPress theme – which let’s you redesign your entire site with the use of a theme.
- WordPress provides flexibility to organize your content by day, month, year, author, tag, or category. It also creates browse-able archives to dynamically display your past content.
- WordPress has a built-in search function to let your site visitors quickly find the content they want – quick and easy.
- WordPress has a built-in feature that will convert posts to page URLs that are human and search engine friendly. This will let anyone know what your content is about just by viewing the URL.
- WordPress automatically typesets every letter your write, working behind the scenes to convert un-friendly characters into their correct HTML code.
WordPress helps you engage with your users
- WordPress promotes interacitivty on your site so you can interact with users by use of comments, trackbacks, and other interactive plugins. This let’s you have your own social networking integrated into your site with WordPress.
- WordPress will allow users to use your site from RSS feed readers to get constant updates about your site whether it is articles, podcasts, or videos.
- WordPress lets you collaborate with other users on the site and you can define additional roles so users can assist on publishing content, that can be approved by a site administrator if needed.
WordPress provides speed and flexibility
- WordPress is a browser standards-compliant system that provides a fast and light content management system. Out of the box it is clean and has drag and drop features to customize your site.
- WordPress does not lock you into a prioritary data format so you can always take any content with you and they make tools available to import from other platforms as well.
- WordPress design focus is to make sure it works right out of the box as a simple and clean content management system.
- WordPress is mobile responsive which allows sites to work correctly on every kind of device.
- WordPress has multisite technology which is used by a lot of large organizations so you can have additional sites with their own set of themes, plugins, and security settings.
- WordPress is fully compliant with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) which is an international community that develops the standards to ensure website remain compliant for all browsers.
WordPress provides a stable and secure environment
- WordPress provides a strong password protection and granular security settings for your site so you can easily make some content private and only accessible by specific users.
- WordPress typically releases a new version with security updates, bug fixes, and improvements that are released every 3-4 months.
- WordPress helps manage spam on your site with tools that allow you to quickly moderate and prevent spam on comments on your website.
Although this was a lengthy write-up please use this page as a reference for any feature questions you have. You can also reference the following links for some excellent tutorials for your upcoming websites:
Ultimate WordPress for Beginners Guide: https://wpcompendium.org/wordpress-basics/ultimate-wordpress-user-guide-for-beginners
Non-Techies WordPress Tutorials: https://wpcompendium.org/wordpress-overview-tutorials